Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Slipping into Darkness


There I was. Stained hair-dye towel wrapped around my shoulders and a brand new package of Nice ‘N Easy Dark Auburn. When the door-bell rang. I couldn’t imagine who would be just dropping in at 8 p.m. so I tip-toed into the dining room to see whether there was some wayward girl scout out there selling her cookies or something. Barry was chatting amiably with whoever it was so I figured it must be someone we know and turned back to the task of coloring my own hair. Something I haven’t done since probably 1975.

First of all my hair is naturally very dark brown. So dark that no-one ever believes me when I tell them that it’s natural. And there’s the rub. While visiting home last Fall from my “evacucation” in NYC during Katrina I met a volunteer from Manhattan right outside my New Orleans front door. Lexie. In her real life she is a hair colorist, but at the time that I met her she was volunteering with the Humane Society of Manhattan and doing animal rescue in my shattered city.

To make a very long story into a medium-long story, Lexie moved down here to New Orleans last February and is doing hair at a salon on Magazine Street. Over the months since her arrival I have gone from deep brunette to almost totally blonde. And my hair did look good, but the busier Lexie got, the less time she really had to devote to my new high-maintenance locks so I decided to go back to brunette.

So last month while I was in upstate New York my friend, Jeanne, did my hair a nice dark auburn. And it looked great! But 5 weeks later the color had faded and it was time for a touch up. I didn’t want to call Lexie because I didn’t want her to feel like she had to do my hair and I know she disapproves of my dark hair and even she believed it was dyed that color because “it can’t possibly be the true color…it’s too dark!” So I didn’t really tell her about the change. And I hadn’t seen her in maybe 7 or 8 weeks so I figured she’d never know anyway.

But God must have decided that he doesn’t want me to fuck up my follicles either, so who came sauntering in last night just to say “Hi”???? Lexie!!! I was so busted. “Noooooooo!!!” she wailed. I laughed sheepishly. And that is how it came to be that I have a 3 p.m. appointment today to have a pro take care of my request. Lexie to the rescue. We are compromising and aiming for a Cindy Crawford (dark with some highlights) effect.

I mean I’ve heard of intervention for self-destructive behavior, but this is ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home