Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Cry me a river.


I’m fine. Really.

So I’m realizing that it isn’t particularly brave to resist taking anti-depressants if you really need them. I don’t know what I was thinking. Maybe that taking anti-depressants would mean that I’m crazy…even though I don’t feel that way about other people who take them. At any rate, I’ve joined the legions of New Orleanians who are popping their “happy pills” just to cope with the complete and total stupidity of life in the Crescent City since “she-who-must-not-be-named” happened almost a year and a half ago. And it helps. No longer do I cry over the bacon selection at Winn-Dixie. But, I've also learned that it's just as scary to laugh inappropriately...and I don't mean like when someone falls off a bicycle. I mean like when you find out that it's going to cost twice as much to repair your home as you were led to believe it would.

Our insurance rates are going up. Our cable rates have gone up. Our utilities are going up and probably our property taxes are going up. Now, I don’t object to the property tax part if the money will go toward fixing the schools, the streets, the crime situation and generally improving the life of those of us who have chosen to remain here in this pitiful shadow of what New Orleans used to be. But I have no confidence that any of the money will be properly spent. Hell, I have no confidence that the trash will be picked up once a week so requiring accountability in government is probably out of the question.

Still we hang in here. Because as bad as it is here, most days I’d rather be in the wreckage of New Orleans than in oh say…Los Angeles. So, yes. I am fine. Really.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thanh Hòa said...

Nói gì đây?

Một ngày oi bức trôi qua, để lại sau lưng bao nỗi mệt nhọc, ngồi ôn lại chút dư vị, lắng nghe niềm đam mê chảy về trong tâm thức! Ta như chợt gặp em đâu đó, dáng mộng mị huyền hoặc pha chút dĩ vãng phù du. Có lẽ giờ này ta là kẻ cố quận một thời, và em vẫn dịu dàng như mấy thuở.

Now you say you're lonely

Một tiếng thở dài cho nhịp điệu đơn côi.

You cry the long night through
Well, you can cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you

Em khóc cho ai? Cho bản thân hay cho gã khờ. Gã khờ giờ đã mất trí và em không còn là một thuở.

Now you say you're sorry
For being so untrue
Well, you can cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you

Khóc! Hãy khóc đi, hãy khóc cho những gì đáng được nâng niu chiều chuộng, cũng như cho những xác dế bên hè. Điều đó sẽ khiến tim em lắng lại.

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head

Vâng, drive me out of your head, mine too!

While you never shed a tear
Remember, I remember, all that you said
You told me love was too plebeian
Told me you were through with me and

Và hãy khóc đi, khóc cho một lần dứt bặt mối ngọng nghịu, bởi vì trong em, đó chỉ là chút thực vị mà thôi.

Now you say you love me
Well, just to prove that you do
Come on and cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river...over you...

Và rồi, một bận nhìn lại dĩ vãng, một bận hạnh ngộ với cõi lòng, thấy lại trời kia sao mà xanh thế, đồng cỏ kia sao mượt mà dáng dấp ban sơ. Để rồi:

I cried a river...over you...

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home